3 results for month: 10/2014


Multiple Myeloma Event in Barcelona a Huge Success

The Patient Power patient live forum on multiple myeloma took place in Barcelona on October 11th. The meeting was for Spanish-speaking patients and their families and caregivers. Patients enjoyed the event, learned a lot and are enthusiastic about more patient forums to come. A brief survey was taken after the meeting and it showed: 96% of attendees were patients diagnosed with myeloma or their families or caregivers Patients' date of diagnosis ranged from 2003 to 2014 84% of patients rated the event as excellent. The remaining 16% rated the event as good 64% of patients said their knowledge about myeloma had increased as a result of the ...

My Perspective on the High Cost of Cancer Drugs

Dr. Leonard Salz, a renowned GI cancer specialist at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, said on the U.S. news program “60 Minutes” the other night that we must—in the U.S.—discuss the high cost of cancer drugs. Dr. Hagop Kantarjian, head of the leukemia department at MD Anderson, whom I know well, agrees as do so many other doctors, patient advocates and patients. Many therapies are now costing over $100,000 a year. And in this age of “chronic cancer,” you might take that medicine for years. Now some experts are saying to really keep the cancer at bay you need to take more than one medicine together. $200,000+ a year ...

If medtech wants to start attaching things to my body outside of the clinic, we better talk

(This post was originally published on MedTech Views) The practice of medicine is meant to keep people well or help them get well so they can live a full, productive life. Technology provides tools toward that goal. It can help relieve pain and suffering or prevent it. But too often we get so excited about technology we lose sight of what’s really important, helping human beings live better. And when it comes to the millions of people living with chronic conditions, and now “chronic cancers”, we need to really understand their lives with an illness to know how technology can help. I am a medical journalist since the mid-80’s who was ...